Sunday, 31 July 2011

dA...

<rant>  Is anyone else getting sick of all the crap that's on deviantART?  OK I understand it's a great place for people to share their art and strike up conversations but at the same time it feels like it's become one big popularity contest.  It seems that if you have less than 10 gazillion pageviews nobody pays attention to you and if they do the most you'll get is a "cool wrk" or "lolz its gud" comment but only because that person is trolling for a llama badge or whatever.  I always prided myself on the fact that I reply to every comment I receive and when I give feedback I try to be as useful as possible, rather than just brown-nosing the artist.  On top of all that there is a load of shit art.  I'm not gonna sit here and say I'm the best damn artist on the site, 'cos I'm not, but there is stuff on there that really doesn't deserve the attention it gets while quality artists go unnoticed.  If you don't believe me look at the Daily Deviations for the past week, nothing is original and I've seen better art scrawled on the walls of public toilets (seriously, I've seen some pretty neat graffiti).  

Gah. </rant>


4 comments:

  1. I haven't used deviantart for many years, basically for the reasons you bring up. There are so many scene kids on it taking pictures of themselves with make up on with a high megapixel cameras and they get a lot of views but no professional work so doesn't matter. I use forums these days which are made up of professionals, students and hobbyists sometimes. They are really friendly and give helpful critique. Its the kinda community you want to show your artwork to and it gives you a good idea of who's out there. Two main ones i use are Conceptart.org and Cgsociety.org, both have traditional and digital stuff, Use conceptart the most cause you can see peoples rough pieces and not just finished pieces, learnt so much from there. An i know theres many more forums like it. So ye i agree deviantart is pretty damn lame, effeminate manga males, cats and cleavage mainly these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with James. That and it takes about 2 months to report people when they have disgusting photographs on their page which clearly aren't in the terms and conditions... I was not impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do use other sites too, but I'm most sad because I remember the days when dA was actually good and it's kinda hard to let go haha! I didn't realise it took so long to report people, that's pretty terrible. Forums like somethingawful take like a couple of days at the absolute max :/ But yeah, I think it has more negatives than positives these days and it's just a shame that's all :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know I'm late to the party, but this is precisely why I quit using dA. It's too full of fan art for twilight, and not enough decent work or feedback. And also, the problem of art theft is too big there. I had so many problems with a user who consistantly stole work and then continued to harrass me once I'd had her removed from the site (which took too long anyway), it was ridiculous so I gave up on it in the end.

    ReplyDelete